Pets Avenue
Hello Singapore
Welcome to
Pets Avenue.
Consultations   In house diagnostic laboratory   
Diagnostic imaging    hospitalisation care
   Surgical suite   Dentistry

::Pet Safety Tips:: Foods to avoid giving our pets during this festive period

Posted by petsavenuevet on Feburary 13, 2015 in Pet Safety Tips | No Comments

Valentine’s Day and Lunar New Year are just around the corner and some of us are looking forward to enjoying those delectable festive goodies. ? However, do you know that some of these foods are dangerous for our pets? Here’s a list of food items to keep out of paws’ reach!

 

ALCOHOL

Our pets get intoxicated far more easily than us! Alcohol intoxication commonly causes vomiting, disorientation and stupor. In serious cases, coma, seizures and death may occur.

BARBECUED PORK (“BAK KWA”)

Bak kwa (and other foods rich in fats) can cause pancreatic and heart problems.

Affected pets may start showing signs of diarrhoea, vomiting and abdominal pain.

CHOCOLATES

Chocolates (and other foods that contain cocoa or caffeine) are toxic.They contain substances called methylxanthines. The higher the concentration, the more dangerous it is.  Chocolate intoxication may result in signs ranging from vomiting, increased thirst, abdominal discomfort and restlessness to severe agitation. Muscle tremors, irregular heart beat, high body temperature, seizures & even death.

GRAPES & RAISINS

Some animals are sensitive to these and may develop, kidney failure. If affected. your pet becomes lethargic, dehydrated, refuses food and there is decreased or absent urination. Death due to kidney failure may occur within a few days or long term kidney disease may persist in pets that survive.

GARLIC & ONION

When significant amounts of garlic or onion are ingested,  they can damage red blood cells. Affected pets may display signs of weakness, reluctance to move ortire easily. Their urine may be orange-tinged to dark red in colour.

MACADAMIA NUTS & WALNUTS

These nuts are not toxic but they do cause a great deal of discomfort for up to 48 hours. Affected pets may develop weakness in their rear legs, tremors and fever.

XYLITOL

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many sweets. It is dangerous to your pet as it causes a drop in blood sugar levels when consumed. Pets who ingest xylitol may display signs of disorientation and seizures within 30 minutes. When large amounts are ingested, liver failure may result.

 

 

Dog Clinic | Cat Clinic | Contact Us | Sitemap
© 2019 Pets Avenue. All Rights Reserved.
Mobile Toolbar
Menu Icon
Phone Icon
Mail Icon
Social icon